Ditchley Park in Oxfordshire

Contact Us
info@cotswoldswebsite.com

Website design and hosting by Commatic


Ditchley Park, Oxfordshire

Ditchley Park is a classic Georgian Mansion built in 1722 and structurally unaltered since then. It was designed by James Gibbs and built by Francis Smith of Warwick. The rich interiors are by William Kent and Henry Flitcroft, with fireplaces by Henry Cheere and Christopher Horsenail. Period furniture and paintings add to the superb effect.

The Mansion is historically important, from early connections with Charles II to its use as a weekend retreat for Winston Churchill and members of his War Cabinet during 1940 and 1941. It was tastefully restored by Ronald and Nancy Tree (later Nancy Lancaster of Colefax and Fowler fame) in the 1930’s, and is in regular use by the Foundation as a Conference Centre.

Between conferences the Mansion is open to the public. This is by appointment only, as the Mansion is set up as a working house rather than as a museum, and the Trustees insist that visitors are guided. This is of benefit to visitors, as the story of the Mansion can be fully explained. Costs are £5 per visitor, with a minimum charge of £40 per group. Due to the Conference programme visits are usually on weekday afternoons, and appointments can be made by telephone or email.
Source : Ditchley web site

The Ditchley Foundation
Ditchley Park
Enstone
Chipping Norton
Oxfordshire
United Kingdom
OX7 4ER

Telephone: +44 (0) 1608 677346
Fax: +44 (0) 1608 677399
Email: info@ditchley.co.uk

 
© Cotswolds Website
Adverts