Leigh Roman Villa
Leigh Roman Villa, east of Witney,
is a part exposed floor plan of a large Roman Villa first unearthed
in 1813 and consists of over 60 rooms including some mosaics that
are now under shelter.
The villa buildings
were laid out in three low ranges round a courtyard. An open colonnade
round the edge linked the buildings and gave access into the various
rooms. In one corner was a suite of hot baths - the recreational
centre for the villa. In the other corner was a formal reception
room. The mosaic floor of this room cannot be left exposed to the
weather and is now protected by a modern cover building (see below).
mosaics are believed to have been created by Cirencester
the cover building lay the service buildings of the villa estate.
None of these survive above ground and their position has only been
detected by patterns of parched grass which appear during drought
conditions and can be seen clearly from the air.
to North Leigh Roman Villa is down an unsurfaced track about 600
metres from the roadside. This track would have been used by the
villa servants. The owner, his family and guests would have approached
from the opposite direction.
is limited and in a layby to the roadside.