Parish Church of St John in Burford, Oxfordshire

Contact Us
info@cotswoldswebsite.com

Website design and hosting by Commatic


Parish Church of St John, Burford in Oxfordshire

The huge parish church of St John in Burford was originally built in Norman times, but it was remodelled in the fifteenth century.

Parish church of St John in Burford
 
Parish church of St John in Burford


The Old Turret Clock

Old Turret Clock  

Hercules Hastings was paid £10 for making this clock in 1685. He lived on Burford's hill at the corner of Swan Lane. Warren Hastings (1732-1818) was of the same family.

Until 1949 the clock turned the hands on the South and West dials on the outside of the Norman tower and chimed each hour on the old bell of 1330. It stood in the Ringers' Chamber and its long pendulum swung below the floor.

Inside the parish church of St John

© Cotswolds Website
Adverts
 
 
Burford Links
Burford