Blog is a collection of diary entries, news, gossip and other Cotswold
Cheltenham Officers Issue Festive Security Warning
Police are offering their usual festive reminder to people to make sure their homes and property are secure over the Christmas period.
A number of properties are being burgled as a result of people not thinking about their security.
Cheltenham's Crime Reduction Officer PC Damon Blandford has this advice, he said; "Unfortunately whilst the majority of us are getting into the festive spirit there is an undesirable few who take the opportunity to help themselves to things that don't belong to them. We hope by people taking a few preventative measure they can ensure they do not become the next victim.
* Always ensure all doors and windows are secured.
* Never leave anything of value on show through a window or door.
* If you are going away ask a trustworthy neighbour to pop in to move your post and open and close your curtains.
* Think about having a timer for your lights.
* Remember to cancel your newspapers and milk.
* If you are travelling to friends or relatives never leave high-value presents in your car, take them indoors.
* After Christmas dispose of packaging carefully, don't advertise to thieves that you have lots of new expensive items in the house.
PC Blandford added; "This may seem like basic advice but unfortunately in the past it has not been listened to. A large number of burglaries are committed by opportunist criminals, they see a door or window open or insecure and go in and help themselves.
Even if you are only popping out please make sure your home is secure, we really do not want you to have any unwanted Christmas visitors."
: 21/12/2006 08:47:01
recent Cotswolds news items
Plans for the interior fit out of a Scout Group hut in Chipping Norton have been given an £18,000 funding boost from West Oxfordshire District Council.
The new fit out is for a brand new hut to be... [more]
Woodstock's outdoor heated swimming pool reopens for summer on Saturday 22 April.
With a 25 metre main pool and a depth of 3.5 metres, it is ideal for diving enthusiasts and there is a separate pa... [more]
Members of a youth club are celebrating after councillors agreed a £50,000 grant to help build their new purpose-built home.
The Woodstock Youth Centre will now press ahead with its plans to const... [more]
To view the